Dr. Wanda S. Mitchell
Wanda S. Mitchell served as Vice Provost for Faculty Development and Inclusive Excellence at UNH, where she provided leadership for developing and sustaining programs, policies and initiatives to recruit, retain, review, and advance faculty at the University. Wanda was the first Chief Diversity Officer at UNH and led and supported efforts to create a welcoming academic environment for faculty, staff, and students of diverse backgrounds and experiences, and directed the University’s faculty mentoring and professional development program.
Prior to joining the University of New Hampshire, Wanda was Chair and University Endowed Professor of Education at Hampton University in Hampton, Virginia. She also served on various Executive Boards including the Office of Women in Higher Education; the National Association of Diversity Officers in Higher Education; the Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities’ Commission on Access, Diversity and Excellence; and the New Hampshire Women in Higher Education Leadership Network.
体育365Dr. Mitchell was an affiliate associate professor in the departments of Education and Family Studies. Her research interest and teaching were in the areas of counseling diverse populations, inclusive excellence and diversity in higher education, leadership development, and career development for women.
Wanda passed away on July 31, 2017 from an extended illness.
In Memory of Dr. Wanda Mitchell's Work - The Diversity Initiatives Fund
engages donors in the work of inclusion as follows:
- Tuition/Scholarships: Give to students who have not traditionally had the opportunity to thrive in the field of education and their careers of choice.
- Assist students with textbook and lab supply purchases.
- Assist students with research conference registration & travel expenses.
Campus Climate Development:
- Assist faculty in developing curricula specific to the needs of first-generation college students; and building inclusive curricula with representations of diverse cultures and traditions.
- Assist staff in developing inclusive programming highlighting the history and culture of people from underrepresented groups.
- Assist staff in developing professional developing training opportunities on social justice education.
The Diversity Initiatives Fund was originally established by Dr. Wanda S. Mitchell, the Inaugural Vice Provost for Inclusive Excellence at UNH